All aspects of our industry are changing rapidly. Sometimes adversity allows us to look at the way we live and work in a different way. The relocation industry is undergoing some major changes now and will endure even more in the future. Therefore the future relocation agent will work differently as well.
Let me suggest what the future Atlanta relocation agent might need to be prepared for:
1. More experience will be a requirement, probably 3-5 years.
2. More accountability and impeccable credentials.
3. More mobility. You’ll probably be working from your car and home more than an office.
4. You’ll need all the latest technical tools including laptops, blackberries, iPhones or other smart phones, scanners, and the latest in digital cameras. Plus, you’ll need all of the most up-to-date software required for working with today’s corporate clients. Okay all you techies, what else will you need?
5. More training offered especially by our corporate clients. We see a lot of training sessions are likely this coming year and will be web based.
The new transferees are on much tighter budgets. So you may have to help them with some of the services that their employers used to provide. Many are in need of temporary housing, so it would be wise to keep a list of “suite hotels” with you. Provide the trailing spouse with a list of career counseling services. And if the employer does not move their household goods, be sure to offer van line services as well.
No space suits at this time, but be prepared for other changes that may sound far out there. Who knows what new advancement is waiting us?