This weekend, open houses will be held at listings across the country! The National Association of Realtors® (NAR) has been promoting a Nationwide Open House Weekend each year, and this year it falls on April 20 and 21.
Be sure to tell your buyers about this incredible opportunity to view homes this weekend. With listing inventory being as low as it is, this will give buyers a chance to see what homes are available in their area.
Plus, listing agents should tell their sellers about this unique occasion to attract buyers for their home. This only occurs once a year, and it could be their chance to sell their home!
In honor of Nationwide Open House Weekend, I’d like to share my checklist for preparing for an open house:
6 days Prior to Open House
- Place your Open House sign or rider (Metro Mike Open House sign for Metro Brokers agents) in yard.
- If you are hosting an open house on behalf of another agent, preview the property.
- Preview all surrounding active listings. Prepare CMA for your own information.
- Place flyers (or Super Sunday door-hangers for Metro Brokers agents) on nearby properties to let the neighbors know about the open house.
- Prepare handouts (i.e. home flyer, seller’s disclosure, community information, etc).
- Think about refreshments, if you choose.
Open House Day
- Place directional signs (Metro Mike Open House signs for Metro Brokers agents) with balloons in neighborhood to direct visitors to house.
- Turn on lamps, open window treatments, and sweep front porch area.
- If vacant, bring table and chairs.
- Prepare a display area with information and tabletop sign. If you are hosting an open house on behalf of another agent, replace listing agent’s flyers with your flyers. Add your name rider (and Metro Brokers agents should add $1,000 rider if hosting a Super Sunday open house).
After the Open House
- If you are hosting an open house on behalf of another agent, replace name rider and flyers with listing agent’s items.
- Collect signs and balloons. Turn off lamps, restore house to pre-Open House condition.
- Thank the property owner that “allowed” you to place the sign on his/her property.
- If vacant or property owner is not there, make sure to lock all doors.
- Add prospects to your database, including Realtors.
- Metro Brokers agents should register visitors in the Open House Pool on MetroNet.
- Follow-up with visitors.
Do you have any tips for a successful open house? Sound off below!
Tags: atlanta, atlanta real estate, Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers, Buyers, directional, georgia, listing, marketing, Metro Brokers, metro mike, NAR, National Association of Realtors, Nationwide Open House, open house, Real Estate, real estate agent, real estate career, Realtor, seller, success, Super Sunday, Tips, Tisha Gay